Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Brunch at the Centre Street Cafe

Greetings! We're coming off a fantastic weekend here in Traverse City, and to celebrate, I thought I'd share some inside knowledge about one of my absolute favorite eateries in our town: Centre Street Cafe. 

It's pretty easy to find a good restaurant in downtown TC, but finding one off-the-beaten path can be a bigger challenge. I had no idea I stumbled across such a gold mine the first time I discovered Centre Street a few years ago, but that's precisely what I found. When we have guests in town and want to splurge on a fantastic lunch that highlights unique but delicious eats in our town, this is the first place we go.




Last time we went to enjoy brunch at Centre Street, we arrived after the lunch crowd cleared out. The café is only open for brunch and lunch, so hurry up to get it while you can because it gets slammin' in there some days. You can always order carry-out, too, which is perfect if you're looking for a satisfying meal to take on the road or back to the office.

Local art decorates the walls, and the kitchen staff works right there behind the bar. It's a homey, cosy vibe that I really love, because I never feel like I am under-dressed even though I'm eating top-notch food.




And, umm, can we talk desserts here for a second? Because they always have a way of tempting me before I even sit down to order. I mean, the cookies are the size of my face! What's not to love?


If you ever eat at the Centre Street Cafe, I have two words for you: SWAMP. SOUP. I have tried to duplicate this soup on more than ten occasions, and I just can't do it right. It seems like such a simple soup--essentially it's just tomato and spinach topped with swiss cheese--but it is complicated to replicate. I find it so hard to resist this soup any time of year.



Since it's was brunch for us, my husband Sam went all-out and ordered their Greek Eggs Benedict. HOLY WOW. This is the second time he's ordered this off their weekend brunch menu and it knocked us both off our feet again. They make a lamb chorizo patty that tempted me to side-step my vegetarianism for a few bites, and I have positively zero regrets about that. It's not always on their weekend brunch menu, but if you see it on there sometime, I can't recommend it enough if you're a fan of gyros and eggs benedict. Home run, my friends.



Personally, though, I'm all about the sandwiches. Day in and day out, I could eat a Centre Street sandwich every day. One of my favorite go-tos is the Whole Earth sandwich. Avocado, gouda, cucumbers, sunflower seeds...a true vegetarian masterpiece. They also have plenty of vegan and gluten-free options, so if you're struggling to find a place that satisfies everyone, I can't recommend Centre Street enough.

Keep updated about the daily soups and specials on the Centre Street Facebook page, or preview their menu. Remember, even though it's a little outside of the central hub of TC, there's a reason it's a local favorite...and definitely one to keep in mind when the tourists start filling in downtown! Hope everyone is enjoying this sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment