Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Business After Hours at Hagerty

Hello again, everyone! I hope spring has found you wherever you are. Here in TC, we're hoping we've finally rounded the corner and that no more snow is coming our way, but we still have to make it to May before we're confident about that.

But weather rarely keeps northern Michiganders inside, and that definitely applied last Wednesday when I went to the Traverse City Chamber's Business After Hours (BAH), hosted by Hagerty Insurance downtown. The Hagerty building finished up a huge addition to their beautiful building recently, and I was excited to see the inside at last. I definitely wasn't disappointed!

 I signed up with some of my fellow YPs to work the registration table when people came in from the rain. There were around 6-8 of us, and I had a really good time getting to know some new TCYP members and catching up with people I've worked with in the group. I enjoyed talking to everyone in a more social setting and learning more about them outside of the TCYP group. There wasn't a whole lot of time to chat, though, because the event was POPPIN'!



There were probably 150-200 people there in total, drinking and snacking on morsels as they mingled with one another. I was shocked to see how many people I recognized at the event, actually. The Chamber is much larger than I imagined it in my mind, and seeing all these people get together having a good time made me proud of the strength of our local economy. 



Through both the people I knew at the event and being introduced by other YPs to people they knew, I definitely had my fill of conversation for the next three hours. I learned about raising chickens from my friends at Bay Area Recycling for Charities, the local rock 'n' roll music scene from the owner of Williams and Bay Pumping Services, and caught up with my good friends, the Busleys, who own and founded the Grand Traverse Pie Company.



McKeel Hagerty, the CEO of Hagerty, welcomed everyone and told us about the new addition. They also gave tours of the new Hagerty building addition, but I missed out on it because I was too busy talking!

All in all, I'm so glad I went to BAH. Not only did I love chatting with my fellow YPs about their lives outside of work, but I was amazed by the variety of businesses involved with the Chamber. There are so many different industries and organizations represented, there is certainly someone there that any YP or new person to our community could reach out to for advice, mentorship, or employment.



Are you interested in attending the next Chamber event (or any other event in the area)? If so, email tcyp@tcchamber.org to learn about our Wingman program. We will set you up with a YP who is attending so that you have someone to go with in case you don't know anyone. Your YP community can help you meet new people, and you'll have a companion by your side the whole time. We love meeting new young professionals in the area. Hope to see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment